Thursday, January 26, 2006

Families

Funny old thing families, aren’t they? I’ve been thinking it about today after seeing a brilliant Beeb documentary on adopting abroad. And also because my Mum and Nan are well...not exactly arguing, not exactly ignoring each other, but things are a little…frosty between them.

It isn’t my Mum – its my Nan. I’m really cross with her, but haven’t plucked up the courage to tell her how much she’s upset Mum. Neither has Mum told her. It’s a very long story that I won’t bore you with, but it boils down to the fact that my Nan thinks my uncle (my Mum’s eldest brother) is God’s gift and lets him, even encourages him, in walking all over my mother. He doesn’t pay her the smallest courtesy and takes complete advantage at all family occasions. And he’s also a bastard, but that’s my point of view. Anyway, my Mum cracked this Christmas after he stamped all over her and my Nan took his side. Which is why we’re (me, my rents and my bro and sis) going to New Zealand for Christmas next year. Hurrah! I’m pleased because its during my holiday, and Mum is pleased because for the first time since she got married 25 years ago, someone else in the family will cook Christmas dinner.

The adoption stories in the doc I watched tonight were all so moving. I really want to be a mother, and I am terrified of infertility. If I can’t have my own kids I am not sure what I will do. I don’t like the idea of going through IVF, but I am not in the situation of making that decision so I can’t tell you. I think I would probably adopt, but I don’t know. I guess nothing is the same as having your own.

At Brum, medics of all years spend one day a fortnight out at a GP practice. This year one of our main topics is Paediatrics. It’s all about finding out about normal child development. I have two babies, Ava and Zeke. They are both sooooooo beautiful and I get very broody. I saw Ava last Friday, and she babbled and cooed and giggled the whole time. She has the biggest bluest eyes and the longest dark eyelashes, and she is just perfect. Its makes me desperate for one of my own. Though not right now – that would definitely bugger the degree!

No comments: