Saturday, March 11, 2006

umm, this is from Thursday

So this is the post that Blogger wouldn’t bloody let me post on Thursday. I don’t know what I’d done to upset it, but it was being damn awkward. Tonight I’ve a home and been out with old friends, but I’ll post some more on that tomorrow. For now, here’s a delayed post about singin…

It was the medic’s choir concert tonight. It was really good. Really good. So we didn’t sing every note perfectly, or keep perfectly together, but we did well. And you know what else, we had fun. We enjoyed ourselves.

A lot of people look at me funny when I tell them I’m in the choir. It’s not ‘cool’. In fact, they think you’re a bit strange. Why? Singing is so natural and so enjoyable – I challenge anyone to say they’ve never sung and enjoyed themselves. Most people sing when they’re happy – maybe not in front of people, but they still sing! Along to favourite tune on the radio, or at a really great gig, or while doing the hovering (cause no one can hear you!).

I’m just sensible to realise that I enjoy singing, and I enjoy singing with other people. Yeah, okay, so I’m not exactly talentless, but I’m not the best singer in the world. And some of the people in the choir really aint that great. We have all levels – from a girl who sings in national choirs, goes on singing weekends, and has lessons at the Conservatoire, to people who don’t read music and have to learn their line by heart. But I think that everyone is a valid and important member of the choir, no matter what their level. I do think that people need a certain amount of confidence, to just to hang it all and give it a go, even if they’re not the best. To have the confidence to thrown caution to the wind and go for it!

It’s also a social thing. Like tonight, when we went out for a meal after the concert – it was great fun, and I haven’t laughed like that for… well, weeks at least, if not months. It was a great ending to the night.

(We went to our second home – the Great Wall – a small and very friendly Chinese restaurant on the road between our usual venue and Selly Oak, where we all live. They know us well…to the point of remembering our favourites!)

And yes, I did rock tonight. I sang ‘Cry me a river’ and it was really good. From my point of view – and to be honest that’s what I care about! We’d borrowed a professional musician to help out on the tenor line (we lost our star tenor due to his commitment issues…) and he complimented me on my voice, saying that it’s really improved in the last 12 months. But mostly it’s that I felt satisfied that I had done my best, and that’s enough for me. Anything else is just the icing on the cake!

1 comment:

Marysienka said...

I think your choir looks like ours a lot, and I agree with everything you said.
Singing is another way to let our emotions (bad or good) escape :) I think that's why people find comfort in music. Kinda cheaper than a shrink consult hehe ;)