Wednesday, June 21, 2006

May the Fourth (years) be with you!

Mirabelle is watching Desperate Housewives, so I have a chance to post.

3 days into the 4th year, and I still can’t believe I’m got this far. 4th year! What happened?

So far, its pretty similar to 3rd year. Almost identical really. My current hospital is just as lovely as I remembered from last time. People actually give a shit: about patients, about staff, even about medical students. What can I say? I really want a job there in – gulp – 2 years time. How can it be that close?

I tell you what I certainly don’t feel grown-up enough to be a 4th year. 4th years are old and know stuff. I don’t know anything, and I am certainly NOT old. But the new 1st years are incredibly young…! I guess everyone feels like this – I not getting older, it’s all the other buggers getting younger.

Our year is now split into blocks, and we do the same modules at the same time, just in different hospitals. At the moment I’m on EDEN, which is eyes, diabetes, eldery care and neurology, a sort of odds and sods when each individual topic is HUGE. I feel like I should actually start knowing stuff now too. Rubbish! The people at my hospital in my block are mostly cool. Two Asian boys who are both slackers and on my GP placement (lucky me) and a very white sweet boy who did the religious beliefs module with me, who I now know is a staunch Catholic, who are all in the first half of the group. Then there’s me, Laura (pleasant but slightly difficult Asian girl – she doesn’t listen when you’re having a conversation with her), and Tom, a very lovely Mancunian lad. I like Tom, I think he’s great, but we are spending all day together, and he’s driving me, which is a bit much when its just the two of us… I only met him on Monday…

We were trying to master ophthalmoscopes today. I am officially rubbish at it. I was okay last year, when we just needed to see a red reflex and maybe some vessels, but I am having difficulties getting further than that. I managed to see optic discs and stuff today, but I cannot tell if they’re normal, or measure the cup, or reliably identify naevus on the retina. Argh! Ah well, least that confirms my suspicion that ophthalmology is not my speciality.

On the plus side, I have finally finished by FGM essay. I think its ok. I got a bit ‘feminist’ while concluding, but considering what I have read and seen while researching the subject, it is no wonder I got feminist on the end. If you’re interested in finding out more, have a read of this by Amnesty International, or this very well written story by Megan Lindholm. FGM does not make comfortable or pleasant reading, but it opens your eyes to the unseen cruelty, continued in good faith. Our generation is tasked with abolishing FGM and other forms of violence against women, without destroying diverse and beautiful cultures. Are you up for it?

No comments: