So I read this earlier at one of my daily must-read blogs (I puffy-heart Carmen!). It seemed a good idea for a post, and since I certainly didn’t have a better idea, here’s a list, in no particular order, of 5 things I am grateful for right now:
1. My housemates. Living with three (soon to be four) very good but diverse friends makes me feel very grateful. I am grateful for their help and support, and that one of them is there for me whatever the situation – happy, sad, mad, drunk…
2. My family. They drive me mad, but I wouldn’t be without them. They are loud, off the wall, argumentative, bizarre, disgusting, loving, difficult, complicated, warm, generous, sharing. Pretty damn fabulous in fact.
3. My brain. Ok, so I’m not the cleverest person in the world, but without my intelligence I wouldn’t be here. I am grateful every day for being bright.
4. Chocolate. This can only be understood by people with ovaries (approximately half the population). Sometimes you just need it.
5. Music. I could not continue to live if music was taken from me. For me it is pleasure, pain, joy, religion, communication, an expression of my soul. Serious stuff. I would choose to hearing over any other sense.
Last night, I was in a black mood. Very black. And what saved me? A combination of the above of course.
My housemates, especially Mirabelle, who gave me a great big hug as soon as she saw my face. Then we all got in our pjs and watched Four Weddings and a Funeral (still a fantastic film 12 years on!) while applying henna all over each other. My family, who I phoned and just felt better for speaking to, because I could see that the world was still turning. The fact that I still have the presence of mind to be able to think these things through and see that I will make it, that I can survive. A good session of singing at the piano, which always turns me into a nicer person. It’s a metaphorical workout for my soul, leaving me all warm and stretched inside.
And finally, a tub of gooey melty Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream brought me back from the edge. Thanks Ben and Jerry!
Currently reading: Closer and Why God Won't Go Away. Yup, that’s celebrity trash magazine, plus a book on the biology of belief. Does it illustrate the healthy breadth of reading material of an enquiring mind, or that I’m a flighty gossip with aspirations above my station?!