Monday, October 02, 2006

AcBC

I apologise for the long hiatus between entries. It was freshers last week, followed by the busiest weekend of my life.

I spent it at the Medschool – 3 hours on Friday night, 12 hours on Saturday and 9 hours on Sunday. It was all for a good cause though – a pre-hospital trauma course.

The course is the only undergrad pre-hospital trauma course in the country, and is run by the West Midlands Care Team. It was fantastic! A volunteer team of doctors, nurses, fireman, policeman and armed forces types came and gave lectures and taught practical skills in small sessions.

I learnt how to open and maintain an Airway, the importance of C-spine control, what Breathing problems can occur and how to deal with them, and how to manage external and internal haemorrhage to maintain maximal Circulation.

Easy as AcBC…

The course content and teaching was interesting, stimulating and very important. I wouldn’t have missed it for the world. It’s just now I am so tired, and I haven’t done any of the things I normally do at the weekend, which all allow me to fully function during the week. I think I am going to be playing a lot of catch up!

However, I did find the whole thing quite upsetting. Some of the cases and photographs shown as the lectures were horrific. Very traumatic and very frightening. Frightening in terms of that could happen to me or my loved ones, but also because I am not sure I could cope with it from a professional standing. I felt nauseated and scared by the pools of blood and disfigurement, and my stress levels went through the roof just thinking about dealing with a trauma case.

I hope and pray that I will never need to use what I have learnt. I also hope and pray that if called upon I will remember what I have learnt, and be able to apply it to the best of my skills, and save someone’s life.

If one person on the course this weekend uses the skills we learnt to save just one life, then it is worth all 382 of us giving up our weekend.

3 comments:

Marysienka said...

I hope you don't have to use what you've learned this weekend... But I'm sure if you had to, you'd be able to cope, with the peak of adrenaline ;)
I have to take this course soon. it's important... at least to know the basics...
How's ARICM?

Anna said...

Hmm, I hope so...

You'll really enjoy doing the course, I'm sure. And the basics are so important because basic things kill people.

ARICM is good. I'm in anaesthetics at the moment, and its great - really hands on. Clean,calm and rther soothing. Great for now, but I think it could get very boring as a job, and there is so little conscious patient contact!

Marysienka said...

Yup, when I was doing surgery at the hosp, the anaesthesiologist was reading a book during the surgery. yay what a fun job!!

So, do you intubate people and such? what kind of things do you do?