Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Calgary

Arrived in Calgary! Got a plane from Heathrow on Tuesday afternoon, and arrived 9 hours later to Calgary on Tuesday afternoon. Yeah, my body clock is also having difficulty with the maths! I have decided I officially hate planes. Maybe that’s a little strong – I would say I hate take off and landing, but cruising is ok. Oh, and I love love love plane food! It’s all so cute!

So first impressions of Calgary… well, everything seems so big and open. The roads are so wide, the cars huge, all the buildings square and looming, and the sky… the sky is enormous. I don’t think we even have that much sky in England! And there is no colour, and so few trees. England is so green, and it is odd to be without the constancy of greenness. And the newness of everything! All the buildings are shiny and new and have no history. However, the city is incredibly clean. And the people are so friendly and helpful. I also greatly appreciate the indoor walkways to everything, though they are a little confusing! I was chief map reader, as I LOVE maps, and had much fun and games! Though never getting more than a little confused… we have not been ‘lost’ today.

We (Di, Mirabelle and I) spent today in Downtown Calgary. We set off at 9am this morning (jetlag playing havoc with our body clocks, we’d been up for hours!) and took the C-train from the Travelodge into town. We first went up Calgary Tower and the views were absolutely amazing. I was absolutely terrified of the glass observation deck, over the edge of the tower’s top, but for the sake of ‘art’ (ie taking the picture you see below…) managed to just stand on it.

(The cutesy trainers are Mirabelle, the pointy toes Di and the hefty boots mine! O yes I am a classy broad….)

We spent the rest of the day pottering in the town, and I bought a lovely new waterproof jacket, greatly reduced in the end of season sale. Very pleased as have been eking out the useful life of mine at home, and decided that I would not bring it and buy one out here, preferably before doing any walking! Somehow I’d managed to lose a glove out of my hand luggage, so I also had to buy a new pair of gloves, which was a absolute mission. Eventually found some, the last pair in an outdoor wear shop! Finally, I accidentally bought a new ring, which I do not need – but that I love! It’s a huge purple stone set in silver, and I found it in a bizarre shop in the Eau Claire Market. I’m wearing it now, and loving its weight and colour and gorgeousness.

We also went and had a potter around the Devonian Gardens before heading back to crash in the hotel room. Wow! How amazing to have a tropical garden on the 4th floor of a tower building. I thought it was fab – loved the turtles and the water features! I think we may be going back there.

The most stand-out thing of today has been the people of Calgary themselves. Everyone we’ve met today has been so lovely and helpful. They all wanted to know where we were from (Australia?!) and what we’ve been doing, and what our plans are! The folk in the outdoor wear shop where I bought my coat thought we were hilarious, as we are crazy excited about the possibility of snowfall. They all want summer to arrive… However it’s raining now, which makes me feel right at home!

No comments: