Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Let's go round again!

I started my surgery block on Monday. I’m attached to an Upper GI ward in the big tertiary care teaching hospital in Birmingham. Which basically means all our patients have transferred from other hospitals and are really sick, with multiple problems. Ileostomies, colostomies, re-anastomoses, gastrectomies, oesophagectomies, multiple abdominal fistulae, Budd Chiari syndrome with TIPS, oh yes, we have them all. So do some of the patients… The team is pretty cool though, even if the consultant surgeons are very old school and relish grilling the medical students and then the house officers and then even the registrars on the ward round.

However, I’ve hit a definite wall, and I just don’t want to go on. This is a tough double block, surgery for 6 weeks, then another 6 week block called AGENDA – 1 week of GUM, ENT, Neuro and Dermatology, plus 2 weeks in the Emergency department. There is so much to learn in such a short time, I have no idea how I’m going to fit it all in. The work and then the dreaded surgery OSCE are looming terrifyingly large and close in front of me.

(Apparently all we need to know is in this book, which is an inch thick and cost £43. That’s a lot of cash for a lot of pages to get through in 6 weeks…)

On a brighter note, my Nan had her hysterectomy yesterday and all went well. Fingers crossed…

And on an extremely good note, I passed my Obs and Gynae and Paeds finals. Woop!

No comments: