Monday, December 17, 2007

O, to have talent...

I spent this weekend in Gloucester, visiting old uni friends. It was a good weekend, although far far far too much alcohol was consumed on Saturday night. I am getting too old to cope with the hangovers...

Driving back today, the sun was setting. The countryside is very bleak right now, all stark bare trees and dull fields, and a clinging mist was settling in between the rolling hills. The sun hung low in the sky, enormously red and glowing, and I, sucker for beauty that I am, was enchanted. It was stunning. So stunning I was in danger of causing accident or injury to myself or others by constant rearview mirror gazing...

I wish I had the skills to capture that fleeting perfect moment. In poetry, in art, in a photograph. I am surrounded by beauty and I long for the ability to catch hold of it with both hands and make it stay.

One of my favourite beautiful things in Birmingham is the moonlight catching on the slate roofs of the terraces along my street. I love it - its such a sharp, clean, perfect silver. My friends often have to stand and admire the moonlight on the slate when walking with me after dark. None of them share my enthusiasm... Even though it is a frequent sight for me, everytime I wish there was someway to bottle the way the light falls and catches.

But I have no way to make the fall of light stay. The best I can do is to admire it with every bit of me everytime I am lucky enough to see it. And make everyone else around me appreciate it too!

1 comment:

Marysienka said...

You can capture those beautiful moments in your mind. You have the ability to do that- some people don't... many people actually. And there's no need to to make them stay; it's because they go away that are so beautiful... and you're lucky they come back everyday, or almost :)