Monday, December 03, 2007

Well, what a week

This blog has missed neurology. Yes, last week I did my entire neuro block. In one week. Madness, isn't it? Sending 10 of us to a tertiary care centre for one week to learn everything there is to know about neuro. Needless to say, I feel I knew bugger all when we started, and only marginally more now. But, now I know how much stuff there actually is, I am considerably more worried about neuro.

Today I started a two week placement in A&E. Ooops, sorry, the 'Emergency Department'. So far, so so. I don't really like A&E, most ofthe patients aren't sick, they're just whingey. I loved the Surgical Assenssment Unit, becuase someA&E doc's already sorted out the dross from the genuinely sick, so you get to clerk patients with proper historys and good signs. Am I a bad person, for only wanting to see 'proper patients'?

3 comments:

the little medic said...

Firstly - a week for the whole of neuro? Shitters, I thuoght we had it bad with 4 weeks to learn all of neuro! I've since forgotten everything I knew so finals might be difficult.

Wanting to see real patients is no bad thing. As students, it can be boring and a bit of a waste of time once you're onto the 8th person who actually has nothing wrong with them *cough* GPs *cough*

Marysienka said...

Ugh neuro. No more to say about that.

And no, you're not a bad person for wanting "real" patients, you're just a medstudent ;-) There is nothing more aggravating than seeing a patient for "fatigue x 3mos" at the emergency department...

Anna said...

Thanks for the reassurance of my moral fibre guys!