Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!

Wow! Can you believe its 2008 already? Where did 2007 go?

I’m feeling quite positive tonight. Which may be due to having just watched my brand new Hairspray DVD (man, I wanna shake and shimmy like those kids!) but I hope it is a new kind of optimism…

Mind you, I do have to get through the next lot of finals in 2 weeks time. Eeek! The surgery OSCE is going to be stiff. Definitely the toughest yet. A few days ago, I was terrified about failing, but now I can see that would not necessarily be a disaster. If I fail this block, I can resit no worries in the summer. I’ve passed everything so far, the Medschool would not freak out. I think the worst bit would be telling all my mates!

I missed blogging over Christmas. Unfortunately it is one of my uni routines that gets thrown out of whack by being at home. I have had a lovely time tho – eating, drinking, sleeping, present opening. My wonderful wonderful parents gave me the best gift – they’re going to pay for my final year weekend away with the rest of the graduating lot in June AND a new dress too! They are so good to me.

Seeing all my family has been lovely too. My poor Nan is knackered and thin after her op and the radiotherapy (which only paused for Christmas Day and Boxing Day) but bearing up well. My cousins, my brother and I are getting on even better than before, which is lovely. My paternal cousins (is that the right description? Who knows, but it works right?) are all a little older than me, and all never really wanted to know. I mean, nice enough, but not close. But the four of us on my Mum’s side of the family really are. And that’s great.

My uncle treated us (me and my brother and sister) and the cousins to a Christmas outing to see the Tutankhamun exhibition at the O2 arena last week. It was amazing. The gold glittered, the colours punched out bright and clear, the craftsmanship was superb, and all over 3000 years old… Truly incredible. The only disappointing aspect was the gaping hole left by Tut’s death mask – you know, the famous gold and blue face and headdress placed on his mummy. Apparently it was too fragile to leave Cairo, but it is a shame for it to be missing.

I’ve also been doing a bit of walking with the parentals and various siblings. The best have been to my two favourite beaches – Cuckmere Haven in the Seven Sisters Country Park, and West Wittering. The Witterings is my favourite beach in the world. It may not be the most beautiful, or special, but I spent so much of my childhood paddling there, learning to swim in the sea – which involved swallowing most of the sea! – that it will always hold a corner of my heart. My dad used to take me out to the sand banks, exposed by low tides, and we’d collect the shells and I’d make him carry them all back so I could show my mum. My mum would always be sitting on the beach, reading a book, keeping an eye on my little brother, who’d be digging a very large hole. No castles for our John, only big holes…

Rose and Dad had new digital cameras for Christmas, and of course John and I both have one, and we all took them to the beaches. Poor Mum was quite left out! Here’s my favourite from the Witterings (which is very different for the sunny, busy, summer at low tide pics on the site!):

2 comments:

Marysienka said...

wait... where's the snow? ;-)

Glad you had a good Christmas! I'm not ready to go back to school yet (but it's not before the 14th!), let alone talking about exams. But good luck with your finals... ugh surgery osce!

Anna said...

snow? pah, we'd be lucky...