Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Enormity of it All

So, last night was my first middle-of-the-night-I'll-never-pass-this-module panic. I think this is the record earliest affliction of said panic. Unfortunately, it's probably justified. 'Medicine' is a huge module, and I'm going to have to know a serious amount of stuff. Oh, and be able to read accurately and diagnosis from an ECG. After almost 3 years of clinical work, it still looks like a goddamn squiggly line on pink graph paper to me. Task for the next week: learn something (anything!) about ECGs.

I did attend some extremely useful teaching on Friday about prescribing - not what, but how. Oh yes, the actual nitty-gritty of putting things on the chart, things like sliding scales, digoxin loading doses, fluid regimes, and acetylcysteine for paracetamol ODs. It was very enlightening. Enlightening as to how to do these things, but also as to how ill-equipped we final years actually are to hit the wards in August. Our theoretical knowledge is there (in theory...) but our practical knowledge? Medical school has been tough, but nothing like the curve we'll all be climbing come August...

It's going to be a loooooong summer.

2 comments:

Marysienka said...

Go and get "The ECG made easy". It'll save you...

Anna said...

I own it. I've been ignoring its admonishing glare from the bookshelf for 3 years...