Friday, February 15, 2008

Medical Wards

You've gotta love 'em.

This week has been a good week in the land of general medicine. I skipped the post-take ward round on Tuesday morning (well, I hadn't really been on take, so what was the bleeding point?!) and instead headed to an excellent cardiology teaching round. I listened to a number of leaky hearts - including a patient with 2 mechanical valves, which sounded like a wristwatch from the end of the bed. How you would sleep with that clicking away inside I do not know! But it was excellent OSCE practice and made me realise I have to go and revise my murmurs to get them really slick. At the moment I have to think about it all a bit too much...

My own firm's ward round have been pretty good too - we've got an interesting mix of patients. Including one who's 98 years old, and damn sprightly with it. When asked by the reg 'How are you feeling today?', she replied 'I'm feeling old' with some feeling... The 3rd years have also been on the rounds this week, and its good fun. And I enjoy being trusted with jobs. I like being useful, even if my uses are somewhat limited - keeping a jobs list, re-writing drug charts, finding lost notes, doing lying and standing BPs. Not ground breaking medicine but better than standing around!

I also managed to successfully take blood cultures this week, using a syringe. I'm generally a bit rubbish with syringes. Having originally trained with vcutainers, I'm a big fan. They make life neat and clean and easy, and when you've got a patient with shocking veins (as on my surgery ward last year) a little green or blue butterfly is a much easier option to take multiple blood bottles. But to do blood cultures you need a syringe full of blood not neat little vacutainer bottles. I've not have much luck with syringes in the past, but yesterday all went extremely well and I was very pleased with myself. It's silly really, but achieving something concrete and practical always makes me feel happier with the world. Again, it's better than standing around doing nothing...

Most brilliant entry in a patient's notes: 'Fan therapy commenced' - roughly translated means the nursing staff put a fan in the bed area of a patient who was feeling hot. Genius.

3 comments:

Marysienka said...

yay for taking blood cultures! I'm sure it must have felt so good :) We still use butterflies for them here (at least, they always did for me). You leave the blood in the syringe to be transported to the lab?! Do you use the 3 big bottles/containers?

Anna said...

we have two blood culture bottles - one for anaerobes and the other for aerobes. you have to fiddle about changing needles and stuff before putting the blood in, which is super fun :(. the trust i'm going to be working in use vacutainer b/c bottles, which i'm very excited about!

the little medic said...

I've never done real life blood cultures. Will have to find some to do.

AND i've never done ANY cardiology so therefore no NOTHING about murmurs. Something I must learn, rather than revise.