Monday, April 07, 2008

Evolving Language

I love the way new verbs are created from nouns.

Such as the medschool classic I heard this morning in a clinical skills session (yes, they were finally teaching us to take blood - after 3 years of doing it...). We have a system in place for clinical staff to flag up a potential problem students by filling in a concern form. The form is used for students who have a personal problem, or who seem to be struggling, or are unprofessional (rude to staff or patients, late, low standards of personal hygiene - I kid you not). The form is a bright lemon yellow, hence the ubiquitous phrase:

'That bastard surgeon yellow-formed me for being late to the start of his list!'

Ah, the sweet sweet joy of the evolution of language.

4 comments:

Marysienka said...

One of my fav is "to be Harry Pottering" ;) I love the English language for this. Smth we can't do in French.

Anna said...

Ooooo thats a new one on me! Does it mean to be reading Harry Potter, or to be pretending to belong to the magical world, or to be an obsessive fan?

I am sad that you can experience the joy in French.

Marysienka said...

It means all of this I think!!

the little medic said...

I think I would have been yellowed rather a lot!